April W. McKay
Central Alabama Office
Mrs. McKay joined the firm in 2005, after practicing for several years as an associate with a prominent insurance defense firm in Birmingham, Alabama. April’s practice at Holtsford Gilliland is focused on the defense of governmental entities and their agents as well as employment law issues.
April represents and defends municipalities, their officers, and municipal employees in all areas of governmental liability, in state and federal courts throughout Alabama and on appeal, with a special emphasis on law enforcement officer defense. Through focused and aggressive legal writing, April has obtained the dismissal of many cases prior to trial, often in the early stages of litigation. In 2013, 2014 and 2015, April was recognized as a “Rising Star” in the area of municipal defense by Super Lawyers magazine.
April’s employment law practice includes representing government and business interests at both the administrative and litigation levels. April is frequently asked to help clients navigate the complex framework of federal employment laws, whether in assisting them through the EEOC process, defending lawsuits from former and current employees, or providing advice regarding employment policies and procedures. April has conducted outside independent investigations of employee misconduct and has provided training seminars to employees at all levels. April has also been asked to speak to insurance professionals regarding Title VII liability.
April attended Auburn University as a Presidential Scholar, where she obtained a Bachelor of Science in Zoology, graduating with honors. April obtained her Juris Doctor degree in 2002 from the University of Alabama. While in law school, April received the Judge Daniel H. Thomas Award, the Dean’s Community Service Award, the Student Pro Bono Award, and the Order of the Samaritan, the highest public service award bestowed by the University of Alabama School of Law.
- Alabama Supreme Court
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Alabama
- University of Alabama School of Law, Juris Doctor, cum laude, 2002
- Order of the Samaritan
- Pro Bono Service Award
- Dean’s Community Service Award
- Judge Daniel H. Thomas Award
College Degree, Honors and Activities
- Auburn University, Bachelor of Science, cum laude (Zoology), 1998 Presidential Scholar
Current and Past Professional Affiliations
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Montgomery County Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association (past)
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association
- Defense Research Institute
- American Bar Association
Areas of Practice
- Employment and Civil Rights Litigation
- Governmental Defense Litigation