MEGAN K. MCCARTHY
Central Alabama Office
Mrs. McCarthy focuses her practice primarily in the areas of motor vehicle and trucking litigation and insurance coverage. Megan actively participates in litigation involving motor vehicle liability and personal injury defense. Over the last 15 years, she has tried over 35 cases to verdict in all types of venues around the State of Alabama. Many of these verdicts resulted in defense verdicts or verdicts significantly below the amount offered prior to trial. Megan is also often called upon by insurers to provide professional opinions on a multitude of insurance coverage issues. She regularly represents insurance companies in declaratory judgment actions in both state and federal court. Megan has also drafted a number of amicus curiae briefs on insurance coverage issues. She also aids individuals and companies in situations where insurance coverage is in question.
Megan is an active member of the Alabama Defense Lawyers Association. She currently serves as a Board Member for the Alabama Defense Lawyers Board for District 3. She also served on the Alabama Defense Lawyers Young Lawyers’ Board from 2010 to the 2018. Mrs. McCarthy was most recently the President of the Alabama Defense Lawyers Young Lawyers’ Board.
Consistently from 2012 to 2018, Megan received the honor of being selected as an Alabama “Rising Star,” an award afforded to the top 2.5% of all lawyers in Alabama, who are under the age of 40. In 2016, 2017 and 2018, Mrs. McCarthy was selected as a Mid-South “Rising Star,” which is afforded to the top 2.5% of all lawyers in the Mid-South, who are under the age of 40. Before entering private practice, she served as law clerk to Judge C. Clarke Raley of the Maryland Seventh Judicial Circuit.
- Alabama State Bar
- Maryland State Bar
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Alabama
- University of Baltimore School of Law, Baltimore, Juris Doctor, 2004
- University of Baltimore Law Review – Editor
- National Environmental Law Moot Court Team
College Degree(s), Honors and Activities
- University of the South, Bachelor of Science (Chemistry), 2001
- Varsity Field Hockey – Team Captain
- Intersorority Council – President
Current and Past Professional Affiliations
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Montgomery County Bar Association
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association