Rick A. Howard
Central Alabama Office
Mr. Howard graduated from the University of North Alabama in 1989. After his undergraduate work he was employed in the transportation industry. While working full time he obtained his Master’s in Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing from Christian Brothers University in Memphis, Tennessee. Mr. Howard then entered Cumberland School of Law at Samford University and graduated in 1997. After graduating law school, Rick began working with Holtsford Gilliland. In 2000, Rick became a partner at the firm.
Rick’s practice focuses on municipality, corporate liability and automobile liability cases. Rick has defended municipalities across the state of Alabama in cases including employment discrimination, civil rights discrimination, and constitutional claims against elected officials and police officers. Further, he handles claims involving impeachment proceedings against appointees of the municipality and negligence claims against municipalities under Alabama Code § 11-47-190. Rick defends corporations in employment matters. He has defended claims against employers being sued for age, race, religion, gender, pregnancy and veteran discrimination. He also handles claims alleging sexual harassment. Rick also focuses his practice on automobile and trucking liability claims. Rick’s background in the transportation industry provides a unique perspective to defend trucking companies.
Rick regularly tries major cases in all federal courts in the state of Alabama and has litigated cases in most counties in the state of Alabama. He is highly regarded around the state as one of the preeminent lawyers defending municipalities and corporations in all aspects and defending trucking companies and individuals involved in automobile accidents that have been sued. Rick lectures on civil rights claims against governmental entities based on 42 U.S.C. § 1983.
- Alabama Bar US Supreme Court
- US Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- US District Court, Middle District of Alabama
- US District Court, Southern District of Alabama
- US District Court, Northern District of Alabama
- Cumberland School of Law, Juris Doctor, 1997
- American Journal of Trial Advocacy
- College Degree(s), Honors and Activities
- Christian Brothers University
- Master of Business Administration, 1994
- University of North Alabama, Bachelor of Science (Marketing and Management), 1989
Current and Past Professional Affiliations
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Montgomery County Bar Association
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association
- Federal Bar Association